Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dead Heading at its finest


 This morning on my way to work I noticed my newly planted flower garden was starting to look like it need some serious tender loving care and I remember what my mom had taught me growing up. She is famous for growing wonderful and colorful perennials. In fact, her gardens boasts with an array of color from the first hint of spring until late fall.

An the secret to her green-thumb was all about “dead-heading.” Helping the plants thrive!
I remember every year our family would go out with our wheel barrow and my mom and dad would have these huge machetes to cut all the brown in the garden!  While I was down on my hands and knees plucking each deceased bloom. Its this that taught me a lot growing up.

Here is how it is done: As soon as any beautiful blooms begin to whither, fade, or turn brown, they must be removed. I’ve discovered that this is a tedious, never-ending task. Just when I think I have removed every dried up blossom, the next day a dozen more appear. But if I want my flowers to keep blossoming, I have to dead-head daily because the deceased blooms sap nutrition and strength from the core of the plant. They rob the flowers of energy that could be used for new growth. However, if the dead weight is properly plucked, the stems will give gorgeous petals throughout the entire season.


As I pluck the heads of my flowers, I am reminded of my life with Christ. There are places in my heart, thoughts in my mind, and actions in me that all stem from bad attitudes. As I'm sure a lot of you struggle with. An they are nothing but dead weight to my spiritual life. Often these deep-rooted thought patterns. Such as doubt,fear, grudges, or current conflicts that threaten to choke our growth and prevent us from displaying the splendor God intends for us to show. 


We start our day hopeful yet as the day goes on our own self-doubts or judgments of others often take root in negative thoughts and counterproductive actions that not only have the potential to ruin our day, but also affect those around us. However, if we are intentional in nipping these at their first appearance, we will be more likely to experience new growth in our walk with Christ and health in our relationships.


Dwelling on scripture is a great way to blossom us, rather than drains us. It is spiritual dead-heading at its finest. An all he asks us to do is wait patiently and watch the beautiful blooms begin to appear.

thanks to my beautiful mother for teaching me this amazing lesson! 

No comments:

Post a Comment